NOS

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

NOS

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Nitrous Oxide Systems, pros/cons? Lets have a chat?
I like cars, food, and puppies.

Manifesto

Re: NOS

Post by Manifesto »

IMO they provide nothing that a proper forced induction setup coulnnt provide on a permanant basis.

Pros: It costs less?
Cons: Spray is finite, and requires the same amt of durability from your engine

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

I heard repeated use is bad for your engine...well not bad but shortens the life of the engine...doesn't nos have to kept cool also? And with this Texas heat hmmm I dunno. Plan on hitting the nos button before entering those turns??? Lol now that I think of it I wonder if people use nos for drifting...hmmm

wizzurp
Tourist

Post by wizzurp »

It's not that bad, one of the main downfalls is usually running colder plugs which kills off spray performance. It'll last a long time if you tune it correctly.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Any form of forced induction shortens the life of any motor actually.

I like nitrous because you can shoot it when you need it for straights and then stay all natural for corners.

Scooter979
Tourist

Post by Scooter979 »

The 86 d1 winner used now in his drifter just so he could get more pickup to keep up with the big hp rides that people use now a days

Type in toshiki yoshioka on YouTube to see his vid it's one hell of a build there is a secret to what transmission he used to win also if you have seen it then post a reply on what you think is nos such a bad thing if used right and also at low levels of using ?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

It's important to note the type of Nitrous setup used. You have your dry and wet: dry-just a nitrous fogger(s) delivering just nitrous while the wet setup delivers nitrous and fuel. Both are metered by jet sizes. The wet is highly recommended to stave off detonation.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Tedd knows my opinion on it. I love bottle, always have always will. It's all about the tune. Forged internals are NOT a must but if you have them, BONUS! I have seen a junk rebuild 307 sbc handle over 1000hp shot of nitrous, 3 stage pro fogger kit. That motor went thru 8 20lb. bottles in one night at the street races, hotlapping the whole time. Bradley Starnes is a crazy sob(hence why the truck he drove was dubbed Basketcase). Keep it in the rich side when tuning, not much just enough not to lean out at all, and you can run as much as you want thru it.

pic for ogling

basketcase by McKenneyLevin, on Flickr

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

nothing wrong with it if its used properly.sucks when the pressure gets low. a rule of thumb on jetting is half your displacement is safe on the stock bottom end. run a wet kit unless your spraying before a mass air flow (not afm.) and tuning for it or you have other provisions. pull one degree of timing per 10hp shot and check the plugs after the first run for signs of detonation and a/f ratio.

p.s. i saw a 4afe take a 300 shot on the dyno. 1st pull was a 100 shot made 150 hp and foot punds. next pull 150 shot 150 hp 200 foot pounds. last run was still only 150 hp with 300 ft pounds of torque.he drove it home.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

He just wants the pretty bottle.
http://facebook.com/86levin

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Black top 20v 4age with NOS.
I like cars, food, and puppies.

Scooter979
Tourist

Post by Scooter979 »

Ha you found what I was talking aboute nice Mazda what !!!

UncleTonyBerman

Post by UncleTonyBerman »

I remember Bradley and that truck..... those where some evil runs..... :)

86boy

Post by 86boy »

I have a friend here that ran nitrous and hooked it into a "automatic transmission kickdown switch" so when he was floor it and press it a little more to hit the switch it would kick on only for the duration of holding the button. Def. was a lot of fun for a few hours until we ran out...

Nitrous is all about the tune as stated already. Friend had a wet system IIRC. Gained him like 75 HP and 60 ft. tq on a bone stock honda d15 engine running nitrious and a piggy back fuel system. ran that for about 6 months before he took it off and just upgraded the engine to have that extra 75 hp and 60 ft. tq all the time haha... but then again... it was just a honda.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯