First time buy questions, Opinions welcome, Advice loved.

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Variasse
Tourist

First time buy questions, Opinions welcome, Advice loved.

Post by Variasse »

I'm new here, and really new to 86's. For me they have always seemed to be something I'd one day end up owning in my dreams, however since im currently working 2 jobs I find myself with enough money at the end of the months to have fun with. I do not yet own an 86 but am giving this one a lot of thought. Can I get your guy's opinions on what this person is listing for his vehicle fora first time buyer? Also the vehicle is 12 hours away from me (being in oklahoma makes my choices very limited) what would you recomend i do to get it to me here, should i have it shipped to me, drive down and then drive it back with someone with me, or find a truck and rent a dolly from uhaul n tow it back?
PROS:
Only 600 miles on rebuilt 16v 4AGE
GTS transmission, driveshaft, and LSD rear end
Exedy clutch
Dellorto sidedraft carbs
MSD 6AL Ignition and MSD Coil, 8mm wires
Aftermarket electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator
RX7 oil cooler
Stock 4AGE header with cat-delete
Trust MX exhaust
Cusco camber plates, MR2 shocks, cut springs up front. Camaro shocks and cut springs in the rear
Unfriendly garage adjustable panhard bar and C-pillar bar
Power steering removed, tie rod spacers 20mm
New brake pads all around, could use new rotors though
13 inch SR5 wheels with good tires (Wheels pictured will NOT come with the car! They do not belong to me, sorry!)
Sunpro oil pressure and water temp gauges
New dual electric fans
Now has OEM tail lights (Pictures are outdated)
All lights, wipers, and horn functional
Complete interior in 9/10 shape (Everything but the dash is in great shape)

CONS:
Missing e-brake cables
Driver door only opens from the inside, passenger works fine.
ALMOST no rust, only spot is in the trunk.
Sound deadening removed, bumpers removed but I can put them back on no problem.
No AC but the heater 60% of the time, it works everytime

I probably forgot to mention something, but I have a ton of parts I'll throw in with the car.
The AE86 is a blast to drive! This car would be complete with a nice set of wheels, kouki or zenki bumpers, and some paint.
Price is currently $3000 firm, but can be negotiable if you have money on hand ^.^

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: First time buy questions, Opinions welcome, Advice loved

Post by dr.occa »

Where are you and where is it?

I'd ask how it drives as a daily and what mileage per gallon? Why mileage? Because it should tell you if the carbs are jetted properly for a stock 4AG. If it does less than 25-27mpg then it needs to be jetted better and/or carbs synched...etc...etc...

Where does it idle at when warm i.e. above 1000, 1100, 1200...2000! Or at or below 1000? How much experience do you have with carbureted motors? Carbs aren't really that difficult in my opinion but I wouldn't recommend a 4AG with side draughts to a first time AE86 owner/tuner with little to no experience UNLESS you have an experienced tech for a family member or friend that's an old hand at carb'd motors AND is willing to help you and show you the ropes.

I'd also ask if it has timing advance or locked out timing. If it's locked out timing that needs to be corrected if you want to give that rebuilt motor a long life and enjoy your hard earned cash.

Variasse
Tourist

Post by Variasse »

My father worked half his life in a army motor pool, so he has the most experience, however I also have a friend who rebuilds cars for fun who is willing to help me if I ever need it(also has a brother who works at O'Reilly Auto Parts for discounted parts if needed) I'm fairly certain they can help me with most of my needs as well as help me learn. If I am Stumoed with anything they dont know, I'd hope I can find what we need to learn here.

I am in Sallisaw Oklahoma, and the car is in El Paso texas.
Thank you very much I'll ask him those questions when I contant him next.

Variasse
Tourist

Post by Variasse »

Got a reply back from owner

"Idle is completly adjustable on carbs. My aftermarket gauge reads 800. The carbs actually kinda big, so it gets about 25-30 on a good day. actually timing is slightly retarded. the msd has more timing options"

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

25-30 mpg sounds like the jettings are pretty close if it's true. His response about the timing didn't really say if timing advances during acceleration or if timing is locked out. Am I misunderstanding?

Variasse
Tourist

Post by Variasse »

yea i agree, it sounds more like a teen selling a car his dad built or something like that, which is makin me want to reconsider a bit, however im wondering whether i should wait to see if i can find one closer to home/a seller who knows their vehicle better. would this be a better call or am i missing out if i let this one pass?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

El Paso to Sallisaw is a good bit to consider driving a potentially wonky 86.

Sounds like it has a set of Dellorto 45s on it.

Check out the guys in DFW or look in Arkansas, Louisiana, hell even Tennessee is closer. That's my .02 but of course it's your call though.

Variasse
Tourist

Post by Variasse »

yea thats my concern, its gonna be probably 400 out of my pocket at the least if it isnt what im looking for exactly(or up to par with what the seller says it is) that and an entire day out of my week. i've already expressed my interest to the guyl, i'd feel bad to just back out. but It'd just be a big risk for it im not sure im up for. what would be the best way in your opinion to keep an eye out for another 86 hatch?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

The best way is through guys in the 86 community AND old sections of your city. In all honesty, places in the city would be in a predominantly hispanic, working class area. That's been my experience and where I've happened upon AE86s whether parked, for sale or driving around. I stick by my experience. Another great part is older portions of town where the gentry are middle age'd and older.