Wanting to steer back...

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Dorikun

Wanting to steer back...

Post by Dorikun »

Hello. I am wanting to know how the 'drift'/86 scene in Houston is doing... I have 'fallen out' for several years now due to life's circumstances/changes and I'm wanting to know from other 86'ers how the scene is doing etc. if it has changed. I have recently concidered buying an frs due to the 'drift-tax' etc. I most likely don't have the time to work on my car if it boiled down to getting an AE86... again(and I really don't unfortunatley). So an FR-S might be the way to go for me. I am also considering an engine swap if finances allow. Feel free to Chime in if you have comments/advice for someone who is considering returning to this horrible scene... via incognito of course...
-Dorikun

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Wanting to steer back...

Post by dr.occa »

Hey Eric, glad to hear from you. If you find it a horrible scene I don't recommend you return to it. BUT just like most any "scene", if you don't involve yourself with the horrible portions of the community by way of feedback from trust worthy friends & colleagues coupled with wisdom and patience, by all means consider an FRS (21st century 2000GT Celica ;) ). Practically maintenance free: jump in, start it up and drive, come back, get out, lock it up and go to bed.

I'd leave the engine alone. I'd spend the money on improved suspension.

Just my .02

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

What he said ^^^
I like cars, food, and puppies.

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

The new TRD sutff for the FRS is looking pretty legit.
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

how is the scene horrible? ive been inactive for several years as well. mostly because i work everyday, but the rest is due to being part of the houston mr2 club.
drifting with all of you guys sounds great, so i wonder what could be bad about it...

Dorikun

Post by Dorikun »

@bt20v: I'll have to take a look!
@ Manifesto: I never left because I hated it or anything, it was life happening as they say. However wanting to recconnect... I start having flash backs of how many times I bit my tounge. Attitudes(cold shoulders, egoes, etc.), Drift Tax(Thieves)
@ Dr. Occa: Likewise; pardon my dark humor. The 'ole suspention only' is so tempting... Would love to sheck it out; heck; test drive one even.