Which engine would you rather be pulling from an engine bay?

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Man, I finally just pulled my D15B1/2 from the EF last night and I tell ya; It's a PITA!!!

I'd so much rather just work on 86s than Hondas. I've forgotten how much I dread working on FWDs. I can do it by I don't like it.

All the piddly little crap I had to remember to disconnect and I soooooo HATE the stupid pin for the shifter shaft. That stupid pin is the devil's spawn!

bitch bitch, moan moan...

omar14
Tourist

Post by omar14 »

Honda all the way for me. Probably cuz all what everyone rocks here easy$$$

McKenney
VIP Member

Re: Which engine would you rather be pulling from an engine

Post by McKenney »

Suck it, LS1 out of a late model f body is a nightmare without a lift. Has to come out with the k member

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Audi's are kind of a PITA. BMW's are not to bad. Fords eco car line isn't bad. Diesel pickups are a bitch because they are really effing heavy. 240s have they spots of being a PITA. Honda's, kits, etc FWD can be a bitch with the tons of little things needed to be removed. Those pins can be a beeeeeeeetch. Little frustrating at times.

Although the ae86 in stock form is more on the super easy scale. I was rather impressed by toyotas engineering as for most of the stuff seemed to be thought out before hand. Idk pulling an engine is pulling an engine. Custom modified cars seem to have the same concept but feel like an Awd Audi due to the small clearance you have. Idk maybe that's just me, but its the same concept just a few added/different pieces to remove before pulling it out. Honda's are not to bad if you have done one or two. First time for everything with cars seems to be a Huge pita!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

wizzurp
Tourist

Post by wizzurp »

Lol@diesel trucks, now days you generally just remove the can to do any sort of engine work, it's easy if you have have the tools. MASSIVE PITA if you don't.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

ya did 1 diesel when I worked at a mchanics shop when I was going to college.... biiiiigggg pita even with the right tools. haha!

I do agree though it's generally not bad if you have the right tools, and it just flat out blows if you don't have the correct tools. Just trying to make things "work" seems to be a bigger headache than it should be.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Stock rx8... suck... and they blow a lot. Oh small engine easy.... no.... no.

Most newer engines suck. I'd rather be pulling airplane engines all day over car engines, I'm talking commercial jets. But airplanes suck because they can't drift.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

audi a4 3.2 bigget pain in the ass that ive experianced. the easiest is still any aircooled dub or porsche. i can get the motor and trans out in about 30 mins in my monte. mckenney is right late model f bodys suck but once you get the procedure down its not that bad.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

Scooter979
Tourist

Post by Scooter979 »

Any ever worked on a 04 vw bettle that has a from the factory 5 cylinder 2.5 Audi engine crammed in it lets just say to get to the thermostat with a real shop lift And tools it claims in the book a 8 hour job

The thermostat is out side of the block and is hidden behind the compressor and alternator which at the same time you have to remove the bumper and fenders since they are bolted as one piece and putting back together was hell as we'll 12 point allenbolts and it was all aluminum so trying to not over tourque

Scooter979
Tourist

Post by Scooter979 »

But any engine I would Pull to drop into my 86 right now a 3tc really want one to make that 86 fly

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

I dunno if it would make it fly*! lol

Scooter979
Tourist

Post by Scooter979 »

Yeah hopes and dreams but I'm shooting for 1500 lbs. car and a turbo to run from 2.5k to 9k with 40psi will need some killer rods piston and crank and really balanced and a deep wallet to make happen plus I'm looking into a 60 shot of nitros to help on take off and strait aways

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Hehe you should try and pull a engine from a hwmmv... Especially the turbo ones from a up armored m1114... Talk about pain in the ass!!! Ae86 and older Rwd toyotas in general are super easy! I could pull the motor and trans out Of my old coupe with minimal hand tools and before I could finish the beer I was drinking haha...40oz tho lol.
My favorite part is I could pop the hood and kick a oil pan underneath and change the oil without my back touching the ground.

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Double post sorry..

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Scooter979 wrote:Any ever worked on a 04 vw bettle that has a from the factory 5 cylinder 2.5 Audi engine crammed in it lets just say to get to the thermostat with a real shop lift And tools it claims in the book a 8 hour job

The thermostat is out side of the block and is hidden behind the compressor and alternator which at the same time you have to remove the bumper and fenders since they are bolted as one piece and putting back together was hell as we'll 12 point allenbolts and it was all aluminum so trying to not over tourque
This sounds like suck for sure.
aj.hudson wrote:H...Ae86 and older Rwd toyotas in general are super easy! I could pull the motor and trans out Of my old coupe with minimal hand tools and before I could finish the beer I was drinking haha...40oz tho lol.
My favorite part is I could pop the hood and kick a oil pan underneath and change the oil without my back touching the ground.
This +100