New to piston enginges

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

JT2AE86S
Tourist

New to piston enginges

Post by JT2AE86S »

Okay so I am trying to get 200-250 out of a N/A 4AGE. Should I go high compression pistons, more fuel, cams, valves, and springs? I was thinking of going with 11.0-1 or 11.2-1 with a .020 over bore and 19 or 20 wrist pins? With cams what should I go with (intake or exhaust, duration and lift?)? HKS springs? And which valves should I go with and where can I find them? I was planning on staying with carbs but what should I use and which kind of fuel pump should I use? I did not really want to bore the engine and I don’t want a stroker kit yet.
Thanks guys
:mrgreen:

JT2AE86S
Tourist

Re: New to piston enginges

Post by JT2AE86S »

Oh and where can I get the carbs

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

CP pistons if you can swing 'em w/ .020(.50) over bore. The rest is your usual: TODA, HKS, TRD valve springs, etc...really just splitting hairs between them. 20mm pins, 42mm rod journal crank, 7 rib, 304/288, it all really depends on where you want your power band to come in. I'm a carb guy just because it's more affordable and easier for me. Great power can be hand from ecu management for sure.

If you want to go carbs set your eyes on flat slide FCR carbs: better throttle response over the typical butterfly side draughts.

JT2AE86S
Tourist

Post by JT2AE86S »

Well I would like power mid to high rpm what kind of compression pistons should I use?

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

if your talking crank hp you will need at least 11.5 1 pistons 300* cams with + 10mm lift and the valvetrain to support it and fairly agressive timing.not to mention the bottom end to support it. here's some better info on getting n\a power out of a 4a and what to expect.

http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

JT2AE86S
Tourist

Post by JT2AE86S »

That is the most help I have got so far! Thanks! I think that I will save that for the second block. I'm sick of the 4AC

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

200+ hp?

You definitely need to go oversize valves, long duration cams at high lift (as Alan had already mentioned), valve angle and port work. With high lift it's highly recommended to go shim under or shimless buckets.

Lighter internals (H-beam rods), high compression, .5 over-bore for torque gains, proper crank work, dry-sump or accusump for dependable oiling. Oil starvation is the biggest culprit behind high revving NA 4AG motors. It's really all in the crank and oiling. CRE (Conrad Race Engines) can do some trick work on the crank to make sure oil gets to ALL the rods and especially at high-rpms.

Again, dependable oiling: dry sump (very expensive) OR accusump (very affordable).

One of the biggest concerns with 9k 4AG motors is resonance. When running road course and constant high rpms, the head and block are known to flex. :(

For longevity, dependability and 200+ I would recommend turbo and go log manifold.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

would this engien run in 93 octane or would it have to be race gas ? Also how dependable would this engine be for road use or is it just for race.. Also before i forget how about the hasselgren engine how well will that one do as a daily with the dry sump it has, does that hasselgren engine run on 93 octane or does it have to be race gas.. Just asking to try and understand....

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

im sure you could run it on premium but with fairly conservitive timing.= no power.

its just cheaper and easier to boost.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]