Clutch: to kick or not to kick...

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

Overdrift wrote:
Nasser wrote:first of all open diffs fail at life .... i like welded diffs and enjoy clutch kicking that does not mean shit .......... alex try not to be such an ass about things when discussing something saying dumb shit like you. alex i would love for you to actually make it out to more events i hope ggp will host more events when i get back. The honest to god truth is i am just having fun and thats all im for man.
First of all, open diffs fail at life with you behind the wheel. To me somebody that likes welded diffs is following a 240 bandwagon. When I first became a 240 member I read allllll about how welded diffs are what you need. I almost got my diff welded too! I got on the ae86 site and I had a long conversation with a ae86 drifter that pretty much told me the longer I stay open diff the better I will become in the long run. He explained that to him the initiation was the most key element for a beginning to master, and with the open diff it makes initiations a lot more difficult to do, refining your skill.

I am a jerk and I will say some dumb shit to piss people off but hey don't we all? Give me a car and I will meet you at GGP, hopefully an actual track though, I need to get back behind the wheel of a car. I might get lucky and get something before you get back 8)

Having fun is one thing but encouraging other people welded when you don't know the whole truth is another.
HV says: weld your diff if you cant afford or find an lsd.

HV says: cut your springs if you cant afford suspension right now.

I dont entirely agree with alex on the open diff.... mainly because thats what I had to drift for a long time... even at MSR if some of you remember. Its only good for left hand drifts. But it melts the inside tire off when you transition the other way. Somehow, all open diffs are that way: my 4runner, starlet, corolla etc.

It may be good in the left hand drifts, but it cant hang with an lsd or welded going the other way. AND NO! NOT EVEN IF YOU KICK CLUTCH IT.
[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

nt66

Post by nt66 »

if you want to eliminate wheel hop just make a 4 link and panhard its around $200 for all th parts and will help ten times more than cutting the springs. Out of all the mods ive done the 4 link and panhard made the biggest diffrence in handling and peformance
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

Thats first on my list.... and I think I still have all the part numbers you gave me that one day.

Ill see if I can find em and post em in the tech section.

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

like i said it was something temporary due to me having a low budget and eliminating some of that horrible body roll because i would rather have that money being put towards some coil overs. i never do say what your saying is wrong i am just making a suggestion.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

nasser has the right idea..... learn with the basics then upgrade
JDM AE86/AE92

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

i am trying i will have to wait till i can drive alone

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

Post by BlackTruenoAE86 »

Couple of things.

No one said Welded diffs suck

Will and I were just saying since you're starting you are better off staying with a stock lsd setup or opendiff, since it makes you learn more ways to initiate drifts. Basically learn car control better.

Will is just trying to help you out.

As for 2 way I had one too, yes the diff has to be in load to be locked wether itd be accel or deccel but in the end its not much more different than a welded, I drove with both only place i noticed a difference was daily driving slow corners in parking lots instead of hearing clutch chatter I heard tire chirpping hahaha

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

I love the chirp... lets people know your not messing around when it comes to choosing your diff.

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

you mean lets people know this guy is cheap and cant afford to buy a aftermarket LSD

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

well its a matter of preferance i guess i just did not like the stock lsd i used it on and off in the rain and on dry road for a year and a half before i was introduced to anyone i thought i was so luky to have this car at the age i was at because i thought it was like one of the only ones in houston :roll: heh and my axles were bent so i went ahead and had a welded thrown in while i was having work done on the rear end anyway. although i do have to admit i think the tire chirp is BAD ASS :lol: i love the way it turns peoples heads and see me rolling in an 86 with no hood and no interrior while the tires are chirping makes me feel like i am in a wicked car heh

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

BlackTruenoAE86 wrote:you mean lets people know this guy is cheap and cant afford to buy a aftermarket LSD
yay for lsd's that dont lock up most of the time on wet pavement!!

I think I remember will telling me that.... where is he btw.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

im busy watching lame videos of rx7s doing donuts in dirt fields
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

ouch :lol:

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

BTW means By The Way

An RX7 is one of those cars taht you dont want to have straight pipes unless its turbo...Believe me...

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

shweet lets do it then