Rear end rebuild and LSD(Kaaz)

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

jdmboi
Tourist

Rear end rebuild and LSD(Kaaz)

Post by jdmboi »

I'm looking to maintenance and upgrade my rear end in my hachi. I plan on putting in new gaskets and bearing, not to mention a kaaz LSD. My issue is I've never done it before and needsome guidance.

In addition ill be beading any of the old parts and having them powercoated black to touch it up a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

rebuilding the diff the right way requires a few tools most don't have.

i would recommend the FSM but in reality i recommend getting with an experienced wrench monkey (guys who work on domestic muscles or trucks) and have him show you the ropes.

you can do it.

mooreofmick

Post by mooreofmick »

where do you live? i can help u i just did all the bearings and seals in my rear end so . the only thing i dont have is an inch pound torque wrench to do turning torque on the pinion so. i have the dial indicator for the back lash ooo and you need the yellow grease to do pinion placement also and a press to get the old bearings off and the new bearings on

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

i got a press at work :wink:
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

exactly:

you'll need to adjust for proper backlash and set preload.

i've go some pinion gear mark up.

i bent my press crossmember a bit when installing some rear axle bearings. no, i didn't heat them up. who does? oh wait...aaaaaaaaalex doooooooooooes.

:P

in all seriousness, i probably should too but i like kroil.

85levin

Post by 85levin »

if you do all this work i would recomend using a solid pinion spacer. trd makes one, i believe pass racing sells them. also spence from weir performance makes one, that is the one i use. it is a lot cheaper and same quality. good insurance when building your diff. also, makes it really easy to adjust pinion dept as it uses shims instead of the yeald of the crush sleeve.