NE ae86

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

86boy

Re: NE ae86

Post by 86boy »

I've read mixed reviews about the fixed SC pulley and creating lots of heat. Also seen just a crank pulley from T3 and alternator pulley. NST has the crank, water pump, and a couple other pulleys with a belt. Which would be the most ideal way to go about upping the boost?
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I believe NST has the smaller supercharger pulley + belt. That would definitely up your boost. IIRC, they have one that should still work within the parameters of the factory GZE ecu. Make certain your pump will hold up and your injectors are in good shape for the task. I'd also go with an adjustable FPR just to make sure and ditch the factory one. There's no telling what condition it's in after all these years.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Werd.

Well I can successfully say so far so good. Went on a 6 hour road trip to a track in Hastings, NE and TORE IT UP! Had a little drift demo to possibly use the track in the future. Then drive it home. Must have done something right. Burned a pair of tires and barely had enough to get home haha! Good times. Also successfully pulled off a few 3rd gear slides. Running pretty damn good except the fact I can't seem to get the timing dead on. Currently its retarded 5 degrees and that's maxed out to advance timing on the CAS. Move it one tooth my timing is advanced 25 to 30 degrees Max out to retard the timing......
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

86boy wrote:Werd.

Well I can successfully say so far so good. Went on a 6 hour road trip to a track in Hastings, NE and TORE IT UP! Had a little drift demo to possibly use the track in the future. Then drive it home. Must have done something right. Burned a pair of tires and barely had enough to get home haha! Good times. Also successfully pulled off a few 3rd gear slides. Running pretty damn good except the fact I can't seem to get the timing dead on. Currently its retarded 5 degrees and that's maxed out to advance timing on the CAS. Move it one tooth my timing is advanced 25 to 30 degrees Max out to retard the timing......
:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Awesome update

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Thanks Dr. Occa!

How far can these heads be decked? I've "HEARD" of 0.030" and it still being a non-interferance engine.... I have 3 16v heads currently. thinking about having 1 decked, and running a smaller head gasket. mainly due to me not going to be able to go ahead with my twin charge setup atm.... Some things fell through so now I think I want to up the compression some, and up the boost a little more.

Currently I have the HKS 2.0mm metal head gasket. So I dropped the compression a little more than stock currently. I should find me a spare block.... that way I can just have a spare engine just in case something doesn't quite work out like I want it to.

Also having thoughts of selling the 240. Not sure if I want to piss around with the sr20det yet or not. still sitting there in the driveway....
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Couldn't tell you how far you can go with milling the head BUT if you're upping compression, it's not really necessary to up the boost as well. You're already making hp gains with bumped compression. You'll be knocking on the door of detonation sooner than you think.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Ya. Ive just been tossing the idea around. Also thinking about reverting back to a stock head gasket. Since I won't be turbo-ing this as soon as I would have hoped. So I really made sure it was/is safe to beat on it. Seemed to do pretty good with the 2 mm head gasket this past weekend.... so now leave the 2 mm or go back to stock? Been throwing around the idea of the different pulleys as well. I would like to retain the stock SC pulley though. I actually like the fact it engages and disengages. Looking for a 3 position switch so I can turn it on/off/ or leave it where the ecu controls it. We shall see though. Lots of options at this point.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

leave it alone its running good!!!! also get a set of cam gears depending on how much your block and head were shaved with a thinner headgasket is why you are struggling with the timing. Seems like you are a ways off in the middle
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

86boy

Post by 86boy »

ya Going thinner is an option, but that would make sense why they timing can't be set dead on.... due to my thicker head gasket. Good catch btw bt20! I didn't even think of that. Makes sense. Def. need adjustable cam gears.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

oh you have thicker....Your fine I wouldnt touch it. I read it wrong. You can always add boost to go faster...just drive it and enjoy it!!!!

1987 GTS Coupe
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

86boy

Post by 86boy »

haha ya I built it with the intention to run a lot more boost, but it is quite fun currently. Just feel as if it needs a little more kick in the pants. It's a lot different than the "power" I'm used to feeling from a turbo'd 4 cylinder or some beefed up v8 (friends cars btw not mine). It holds its own though haha.
This guy from work decided to try to get me to play on the highway... he owns the base/mid-level 99' 3000GT (non-turbo) automatic. I thought he was just messing around because I was on/off the throttle, and come to find out he was in it to win it.... kinda surprising. just seems like a crazy glorified N/a engine like it never get out of power, and I really like that no waiting for a turbo to spool.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

some 3rd gear action from Hastings, Ne track! Hopefully video here soon.

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

I'm having a hard time deciding which cam gears to go with
HKS or T3 or a couple other companies. Also which pulleys i wanna go with.... Bleh decisions decisions decisions

I'm going to rock this setup for this event and let my bank account catch up again. Then pulleys and cam gears. Which with the cam gears I can add my blue top cams and the blue top throttle body. Might be looking for the 3sgte throttle body with the stepper motor.... we shall see. Decided to leave the HKS head gasket as it acts as a safe barrier currently like a few have stated. If I get desperate for power which I shouldn't after the pulleys I'll pull the trigger on decking the head and thinner head gasket. Need to look into why the hell I have a small oil leak coming from the cam gasket behind the exhaust cam gear.....bleh.

This is just a little reminder note for myself so i dont forget. I'm going to look into the flow rates. soon as well of the bigport vs small port heads. Also so more track photos-ish...

2:30 a.m.... time for a quick wash right? lol

Seeing these next 2 pictures.... really makes me want to lower my car more. Seriously look how much light you can see under it!!!

Now for the best pic of them all!! those damn photog's and their damn ninja camera skills.... and yes that's me... and no I'm not afraid to share this pic as you can tell. LOL

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

got a little love tap already... going to try and pull it out this weekend.

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

i really like those rims

1987 GTS Coupe
1995 4 Runner(sold)