A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by c4ptiv3 »

haha, no worries man. I'll probably hit them up tomorrow and see if they are open so I can bring it by. Nothing else will be getting done this weekend because I had the wrong flywheel sent to my home.

I believe I have the correct one on it's way now, won't be here until Tuesday.
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Flywheel showed up unexpectedly, should have some updates this weekend after all.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Nothing more satisfying than critical car parts showing up next day when you only paid for ground shipping.

Motor is in and looking tight! (Color correction is way off, car isn't orange).

We were able to stab it in one shot without having to pull the transmission out of the car, it was pretty dope.

I think this is going to be the final mounting point for the FPR, You can see the fuel lines screwed in for a test fit. I need to cut it down and I can use the excess to go from the filter to the FPR. I did try to hook up the Rail to the FPR, but the threads do not match even though I took the bolts into the shop to match them up. Either they goofed or I grabbed the wrong bolts. Hopefully they let me exchange them.

This picture is more for McKenney than anyone else, but if you wish to chime in feel free. I need to know which is the actual temp sensor, I am hoping the one on the right because I cannot find a plug to fill that hole.

Work on the wiring harness will start soon, I'm pretty excited.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

Awesome man!

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

Sweeter than cotton candy.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Ordered 13 different colors of wire yesterday so I can start on the harness this weekend. I'm hoping that's enough colors, I'll find out today when I start tracing the wiring diagram.

Does anyone know where I can order a nice pretty TPS connector?
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

c4ptiv3 wrote:
This picture is more for McKenney than anyone else, but if you wish to chime in feel free. I need to know which is the actual temp sensor, I am hoping the one on the right because I cannot find a plug to fill that hole.

Brown=STA (start injector time switch - usually goes where you've got that bolt plugging up the port)
Single male spade (missing) = Gauge Temp sensor (between the STA & ECT sensors)
Green=ECT (Engine Coolant Temp)

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Yeah, it looks like I only need the single spade plug for the Megasquirt unit. I will be plugging the other two and I've got some ideas on what to do with them after they are plugged to add some flair.

Been researching wiring schematics for the last few days and I've finally come to a point that I have some questions. I'm just going to add a few tidbits before posting my questions to get any open thoughts and concerns out of the way.

-TVIS has been deleted.
-OX sensor is being replaced with a wideband.
-IACV has been removed and a blockoff plate has been added.
-No clutch engage switch to start.
-Cold start injector will be removed.
-AFM will be deleted.

Below I have added a wiring schematic for the engine harness. I have highlighted what the megasquirt requires and what I plan on running new harness for. Please look for any problems or things I may have missed.

Here are the color codes.
Blue = Existing wire
Green = Required for Megasquirt/new wires to be ran
Orange = Splices

Now, here are my questions.

1. MS does not show to need the ST wire, this seems odd to me but I'm assuming it was just a signal for the factory ECU. Is this correct?

2. Same as above question but with the OX sensor. Since I am installing a wideband I do not need it, correct?

3. Megasquirt says the following on deleting the AFM. Do I show the correct wires spliced on the diagram?
"To control the fuel pump, you need to do two things. You need to run a jumper wire between two wires at the AFM first. The GRN/RED wire and the BLUE/RED Wire. Connect these together."

4. On wires E21 & THW they show to connect together (E21 being a ground and THW being the ground side of the sensor). Am I wrong or does this mean I need the single prong connector for the dash gauge and another sensor for the MS? I believe this to be the case since the single prong sensor will not have a ground going to it.

5. I want to delete the Service connector, is this a good idea? Or should i just relocate somewhere hidden? I will have the MS and the fuel pump jumpered to come on with the key. I can't think of why I should keep it.

6. All the ground wires used to run to the intake of the engine, I would like to move them to the block so they are hidden. This will be fine as long as I have a ground wire going from the engine to the body of the car correct?

I think that's all I have for now. I still need to trace out the connector not shown on the diagram (Wipers and 12v sources since I canot find a diagram for it).

Unfortunately the diagram is in .pdf format and I'm at work with no resources to convert it. Here's the link for it on Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxGukY ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

I can not help you with the wiring, but the image ... Full screen the PDF and use printscreen and paste into MS Paint, Gimp etc. for a PC, or cmd+shift+3 on a mac.

I already did it for this one. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19Czk ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Our computers at work can barely open an internet window, they crumple under the stress of that large of an image and my Chromebook sucks at things like that.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Are you going with the Plug-n-Play MS where it just plugs into your existing factory engine harness? If so you shouldn't have to do much modifying to the harness outside of removing unused sensors.

I'd personally keep the service/diagnostic connector for easier diagnosing of some things in the future instead of crawling into the passenger floor board and/or running back and forth between the engine bay and cabin area if you're testing things. Something to consider.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

dr.occa wrote:Are you going with the Plug-n-Play MS where it just plugs into your existing factory engine harness? If so you shouldn't have to do much modifying to the harness outside of removing unused sensors.

I'd personally keep the service/diagnostic connector for easier diagnosing of some things in the future instead of crawling into the passenger floor board and/or running back and forth between the engine bay and cabin area if you're testing things. Something to consider.

Yes, I'm using the plug and play but I'm wanting to hide the harness as much as I can to make it look nicer under the hood. Plus the harness is in pretty bad shape so I would just rather do it all and remove what I don't need and not have to worry about it anymore.

I may keep the diagnostic connector and just relocate it under the dash with enough wire to pull out if I need to trouble shoot.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Finally got the first version of the schematics finished. I believe these are right, anyone have any comments feel free to chime in.

The only part that really boggled my mind was E2, THA, THW, E21 and the ground off the TPS connecting to each other but never actually tying into a grounding point. I even traced it out on my current harness to confirm it was correct. I'm assuming that maybe it goes to a ground after it plugs into the C* plug in the kick panel.

Hoping to start routing, cutting and soldering tomorrow, I'll post some pictures then.

I've also attached a full size link incase something wonky happens with the image.

http://i.imgur.com/N1VukIC.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Okay, after sifting through the internet, my existing harness and various manuals I believe this is the final version of my re-wire schematics.

I went and picked up a soldering gun, solder and heat shrink tubing. I just have to borrow some good wire strippers, voltmeter and crimpers from a friend. I hope to start on the actual wiring next weekend.

Here's the full size schematic since it makes it blurry http://i.imgur.com/Q8ZgJ8Q.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

This was the layout I put together for JDMAE86 a few years ago. Not the PnP kit but maybe for reference for those interested.
Corey-86-Wiring.jpg
Corey-86-Wiring.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 939 times