86 race car build

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

toyota85ae86 wrote:...

SO........looks like the pan has to come off AGAIN and the oil pump to be resealed. I used an OEM oil pump gasket, its metal and i didnt put any sealant on it so might have to put some sealer on it.
almost there zenk, almost there.

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

dr.occa wrote:
toyota85ae86 wrote:...

SO........looks like the pan has to come off AGAIN and the oil pump to be resealed. I used an OEM oil pump gasket, its metal and i didnt put any sealant on it so might have to put some sealer on it.
almost there zenk, almost there.
i woke up at 630am again, made some coffee browsed the net, then i went to the garage, got the pan off, got the pump off, i cleaned everything up, i put some sealer on the pump and put it all back on. im going to go back and put the pan on in a little bit, and let the sealer dry over night, then tomorrow fill it back up with oil and go from there. My pan has never leaked it, i am pretty sure it was just the pump because i pulled the pulley off and the front main was fine, and the oil was all around the outside of the pump, got up on the carbs, all over the engine bay and the front, and i could see it seeping from around the pump.

O well, lessons learned just another part in the corolla adventure!
suspicious garage

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

took some cool shots of the carbs

and my radiator and fan setup
suspicious garage

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

sweet shots.... what fans are those
JDM AE86/AE92

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

CBR_TOY wrote:sweet shots.... what fans are those
cheap ebay 12". they do the trick.
suspicious garage

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

i for sure am getting some fan for my 86 next. lol

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

DjSpecter wrote:i for sure am getting some fan for my 86 next. lol
I prefer a good clutch fan, as they are way more reliable and cool very well, but i am running a FWD water pump, and FWD pulleys, and I cant put a clutch fan on, I tried :P :P and broke the water pump within 2 days.

The fans are just some ebay brand 12" electric fans, ziptied to the koyo radiator, Seems to work well though i have yet to really drive the car in hot weather. this weekend will be the test, going to be 105 degree on saturday and im going drifting.
suspicious garage

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

what psi are you running your azenis at?
JDM AE86/AE92

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

CBR_TOY wrote:what psi are you running your azenis at?
depends on the day, here in phoenix it gets HOTT, so i will run them right at 32psi. If i feel less grip, i will go to 30psi. right now becuase they are getting pretty bald i have them at 30psi. Im going drifting this weekend so i might have to set them to 32psi, or 30psi, just depends on how they are gripping.

UPDATE:

Car runs awesome. i drove it around today, felt solid, motor feels great, pulled hard, drove well. NO LEAKS. sounds awesome, i still feel i have a small exhuast leak, but if it gets me through this event, i will pull the head and get it fixed correctly.
suspicious garage

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

ok sweet... it's not hot here at night and i have mine at 34 and it's unda captain

i'll have to adjust and see what happens

you need to come to tx
JDM AE86/AE92

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

haha, i dont know about that. maybe if i had a trailer and truck and could trailer the car for an event. but i only have till july left here in arizona and im moving back home to washington.
suspicious garage

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

wow found out why my diff made noise!

OUCH

there is an event on saturday, and i got a new welded diff to put in and go for it. Just do a 3rd member swap no big deal. EASY
suspicious garage

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

just make sure you use the right axles ha ha
JDM AE86/AE92

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

Well diff swap went fine, I swapped to a welded ZENKI diff and axles which was fine. drifting SUCKED!!!!!

f-bomb.

where do i start on the shit.

first, get to the track fine, pop the hood for tech and realize one of the studs for the carbs BROKE off in the manifold. :x :x :x so spend i dunno couple hours pulling the carb off, having efrian take me to a Ace, get a drill bit, tap, new stud and a nut. Ok good. go to start car. CLICK, CLICK CLICK. wtf at this time im pissed off :roll: :roll: :roll: Ok push start, car fires up and runs, high idle and shitty running but it runs. Great, make it in with my run group, but make 1 lap of just driving. and the car is SLOW as f-bomb. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

so back to pits, tweak a bit find that the starter power wire, well the eylet is still on the starter and the wires dangling around. Ok, push start again make it to my run group but at this time im so pissed off i dont want to drive. and the track SUCKS. it was the worst track i have ever driven on. no traction, the first entry is wierd and with no traction i couldnt even drift it, then you would grab traction in places then understeer like crazy. not to mention its hott as f-bomb and i cant get out becuase i cant shut the car off becuase the starter dont work.

great, so make a couple runs, and SUCK so im pissed. packed the shit up and we proceed to leave. accelerate and the car is lifting in the rear and dog tracking. make it to the gas station fill up and find that the lower control arm bolt was missing. AWESOME.

so go to checker, get a nut and bolt, jack car up kick rear end into place and slid in bolt. then we had to push start the car and its running like ass. pretty sure i ran it on 3 cylinders all the way home.

so this car sucks! i wasted 90$ to drive a couple shitty lap on a crappy track, and spend over 100$ fixing and breaking shit. my ass hurts i have a headache and im tired. so f-bomb drifting, and what a huge waste of a day :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

i decided im pulling the 4age and swapping to a sr20det. Looking for a motor set right NOW
suspicious garage

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

Sorry to hear that man better luck next time... :D