86 race car build

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

dr.occa wrote:good deal bryce.

hopefully we're looking at a much better outcome here.

yeah, this is my plan......

drop this motor in tomorrow run it for awhile. im moving back to washington, SOOOOO i need a car to run. tired of looking at a non running pos in my driveway!!

then my cylinder head is done at the machine shop he crack tested it good, and then decked the head and hot tanked it all clean. should be good to go. then i havent heard anything about my gasket set yet, i did order it last friday and he said it takes about a week for shipping, and im guessing it wasnt shipped till monday. Its fine though i dont really need it right away.

so yeah, i will save my bottom end i have here, and then put the ARP head studs on it, bolt the head on and put it back together, then after im settled in washington i will take the motor out and do a quick day swap on it.
suspicious garage

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

fail......................AGAIN.

the new motor also doesnt run. makes 20psi compression on cylinder 4!
suspicious garage

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

wow thats heavy. i'm sorry to hear that your gonna have to take it out and apart again. :x
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

toyota85ae86 wrote:fail......................AGAIN.

the new motor also doesnt run. makes 20psi compression on cylinder 4!
ah dang!

don't let the frustration get the better of ya bryce.

have time for a little R&R?

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

well......plan B:

i have an OEM gasket set waiting for me at the dealer.

I have a fresh cylinder head

brand new ARP head studs

what seems to be a good bottom end

and a whole spare motor for parts! so, i will take the two motors and make one good motor. I was looking at the new motor and it has a new water pump im going to take off and a few other parts. Nothing to big of a deal, just sucks i have to go through swapping motors again. Im getting good at it though, only takes about an hour to take it out.
suspicious garage

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

whooot wooooot.

progress in a positive step forward! YES. i picked my gasket set up today from brett at power nissan. list price 234$ my price, well az240sx price 109$!!!!

so anyways i put my ARP head studs in, cleaned the head and block and slapped the gasket on.

Torquing the head

install cams

shoot block with some cheapo high temp paint

whoooo put on water pump and half the intake

AND i bought some 550cc injectors
suspicious garage

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

SICK build man. things are looking good so far.

off topic but i know i once rooled with a pedo bear sticker and STILL DO!! those thigs are awesome and out due the shocker 10x

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

nice to see your not easily beaten. :twisted:
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

mooreofit wrote:nice to see your not easily beaten. :twisted:
i never loose or give up!

anyways it runs. and drives
and is pretty darn quick
just running 8psi its mean
cant wait to really get on it
only lame part:

it rev limites at 7k :( booo
and its got a bit of turbo lag, it doesnt start to super spool and kick till about 3k but PULLLLLLS from 3k to rev limiter!

im pretty excited.
i tied up all the loose ends and put a seat in it. its ready to roll.
suspicious garage

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

Its alive and running. it moves. i drove it around today but was having fuel issues. dropped the tank to find that the return line is pinched on the tank and the body, causes a blockage and the pump to act funny., fixed that right up today and its running. bought some cheapo muffler from a local guy just a 2.5" in and 4" out coffee can honda muffler. it works, car was way to loud before.
suspicious garage

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

IT ALIVE...ITS ALIVE...ITS ALIVE!!!!!! BWHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (evil laugh)

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

woo hoo your work is finally paying off congrats
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

lookin sharp!

GTSRolla34

Post by GTSRolla34 »

Do you have any close up photos of the transmission mount and the wiring you did for the engine harness? I'm finally going to start installing the CA18DE that my dad bought for a project that went the way of the dinosaurs. I'll be picking up a transmission on Monday, hopefully, and would like to have an idea of how I can fab a mount to get the engine/transmission set in the car. Once I have the engine in the garage I'll take some photos and put it on my build thread. Thanks.

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

i dont have any better pics of the trans mount.

wiring is pretty much crazy custom. i did it the easy way i would call it, but again i dont have a key or anything to start the car. sooooo, wiring it up to run with a key, and stuff will require some more wiring and work.

if your going to swap, suggestion: ca18s are OLD. tear the motor down and rebuild, at minimum put a gasket set in it, rings and bearings. second, exhaust is a fun one, i know your using a ca18de so im asuming no turbo, which then again poses the issue of the manifold. MIGHT need to use a ca18det turbo manifold and make a down pipe. when you swap a ka24de into a ae86 you use a turbo manifold and a crazy down pipe.

third will be mounts. i opted to use stock 4age cusco mounts, and make custom brackets from the motor to the cusco mounts, the easier way would be to cut the mounts off the cross member move them and reweld them. using stock ca18det mounts and all.

next will be needing a custom one piece driveline, cutting the shifter hole ect.

HONESTLY the ca18de isnt much if any better then a 4age. hell the ca18det isnt even an awesome motor. i THOUGHT i could do the swap for decently cheap, like under 2k but that went out the window after i bought the first motor. so take all that into consideration haha, and if you need some help let me know, if i can get a second ae86 shell SOON, i can mock up and fabricate the same mounts im using. i could easily replicate them and sell them.

Update on this build. installed 550cc injectors and for some reason, the car runs. technically it should not run. 550s on a stock ecu is un heard of lol. its good, under boost its in the 10s but its safe i guess lol. needs a tune soon.

made it to washington! weather rocks!

suspicious garage