Raspy exit...

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

DjSpecter

Raspy exit...

Post by DjSpecter »

I just added a stright through exhaust system to my car and it has a RASPY tone to it. Yes I know the physics behind a engine and how it works and back pressure and all that and with out a cat or resinator you loos power and pollute the air bla bla bla mumbo jumbo...But in all honesty a guy said he can weld in 2 cherry bomb exhaust to act as a resinator. WOuld that be a good idea to have 2 or just use 1? Every time i am under 3000 rpms the car has this low growl then as soon as i floor it..... :oops: :oops: :oops: it gets REAL LOUD!! almost like 3 weed eaters going off at once. Im looking for a deep tone through out the entire rpm band and not a high pitched tone. I even have the silencer in and it just vibrates like metal to metal hitting. How the hell do i give it a low growl???

ill post up a vid of what i mean

inertia

Post by inertia »

so what happen to the megan exhaust ?

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

i still got it as well. Im just trying to get another exhaust made I gots a secret././././.. :D

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

what needs to be done is the tail end for about 1.5' should be at least a 3" opening to lower the tone of the exhaust at higher rpms. you're probably just a straight 2.25" pipe all the way to the end right?

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

a resonator will help your problem. that is why most custom exhausts sound like that.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

correct its 2.25 all the way back. I was feeling cheap and bought a cheap fartcan muffler and had it welded on. So I went driving around the city looking to get my new muffler put on and behold I found a place that would do it for 60.00. YAY i thought. So I left the car there and went inside his shop and played xbox with his son while I had it done. Well 20 min later I came out and reved it up and VVRRROOOOMMMMMMM VVVRRROOOOMMMMMMMM Im talking about LOUD!!!!! I liked it at first but when I drove on the highway doing about 60 in 3rd gear at 5000 rpms my ears started to ring. So I just threw it in 5th and cruised at about 4000 rpms at 75mph. It was a deep low tone. Got home and seen the damage that was done.... After the header there was a flange that he cut off and got a 2.25 inch pipe and bent the FU** out of im talking about at least 5 to 6 bends here and there all 90 degree bends. Well he hacked off my cat and resinator and I cant stand driving it.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

sorry to hear about the butcher shop. :(

jason, maybe just save up (it does wonders for developing patience ;) ) for a nice catback setup and pick-up either a performance cat or a test pipe via T3. the buddy club after the cat is a 2.25" ss run that incorporates a slight bend to a resonator, then opens up to a 3" tail. there's not much to it other than very clean welds and all around aesthetic beauty. i run mine w/o the "silencer" (all the steel wool in it burned out a few months after purchasing it) and have been for 2-3 years. it's loud but not in a mid-high tone pain that will take its toll on anyone's ears. it's a warm sound. the Greddy/Trust DD is another option as well. similar to the BCII but instead of a resonator before the tails both runs go into a slim "muffler" THEN out dual larger dia tails side-by-side.

you can either find one used or build one. law built his own dd w/ ss piping.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

yea it sux when you get mufflers and the shop removes stuff like flanges and cats.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

dr.occa wrote:sorry to hear about the butcher shop. :(

jason, maybe just save up (it does wonders for developing patience ;) ) for a nice catback setup and pick-up either a performance cat or a test pipe via T3. the buddy club after the cat is a 2.25" ss run that incorporates a slight bend to a resonator, then opens up to a 3" tail. there's not much to it other than very clean welds and all around aesthetic beauty. i run mine w/o the "silencer" (all the steel wool in it burned out a few months after purchasing it) and have been for 2-3 years. it's loud but not in a mid-high tone pain that will take its toll on anyone's ears. it's a warm sound. the Greddy/Trust DD is another option as well. similar to the BCII but instead of a resonator before the tails both runs go into a slim "muffler" THEN out dual larger dia tails side-by-side.

you can either find one used or build one. law built his own dd w/ ss piping.
After looking in to what you said I just might go this route. Just get some stainless steel piping and weld in a resinator and get it mendrel bent and add a muffler to it. Thanks Jonas for looking after a fellow member! :D

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

you won't be able to get the ss mandrel bent locally. you can buy it pre mandrel bent in 180°, 45°, etc... angles and obviously in straights.

either that or have it crush bent at a local muffler shop.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

will the crush bend effect it any or not really? if you don't go over the axle. also what are the risk's of running under axle w/o coilovers? or are there any?
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

gda03subaru

Post by gda03subaru »

dr.occa wrote:what needs to be done is the tail end for about 1.5' should be at least a 3" opening to lower the tone of the exhaust at higher rpms. you're probably just a straight 2.25" pipe all the way to the end right?

listen to him
03' Wrx
86 ae86

hatchattack
Tourist

Post by hatchattack »

dr.occa wrote:you won't be able to get the ss mandrel bent locally. you can buy it pre mandrel bent in 180°, 45°, etc... angles and obviously in straights.

either that or have it crush bent at a local muffler shop.
i got a guy in new braunfels that can do mandrel bends.
as soon as i get everything straightened out with my car i'm gonna have him make me a custom DD.

michael63
Tourist

hey

Post by michael63 »

hey charley let me know how it looks when it gets done

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

i found a guy here that can do custom exhaust. i just have to give him spec's. he can only crush bend though. thats why i was wondering if it made a big diff if you crush ss.
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."