Testing Waters: State Wide 86garage meet in Austin

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

mandm177

Testing Waters: State Wide 86garage meet in Austin

Post by mandm177 »

So, while this weekend was fun, and it was great to put some faces to names, i (and maybe others) were a bit disappointed with the turnout. I think we had more out of towners come then actual houstonians come Sunday to the drift event. Yes, it was cold, and i know that there were people who's cars weren't up and running, but there were those that braved the cold, and those that drove something else just to meet and greet. And while i do enjoy meeting up at events and such, we dont have a chance to sit down and be personable.

SO! On the long drive back, Aaron came up with the great idea of having a meet in Austin. The logic behind this is:
1. its about the same distance from other cities, ie: houston, dfw, san antonio
2. great roads
3. great food
4. great 6th street
5. no event to attend, can sit down and relax

Like i said above, people's cars arent working, and we'd like to SET A DATE far enough in the future, so that people will get off their lazy asses to work on their cars and get them running! Sometime when its not freezing cold (like this weekend) or blazing hot for those who dont have A/C. We're open to dates, but are considering maybe late March. That gives people a month and a half to prepare and save up for gas money, hotel money, eating money, drinking money, etc.

As far as what to do, here's a quick, sample itinerary that was brought up:
Drive down Friday Night, sleep
Wake up Saturday, drive North to Round Rock for Round Rock Doughnuts
Drive on the Lime Creek Road Loop / out in the Hill Country
Eat dinner at Salt Licks (BYOB and BBQ!!!!) (watch the Austin episode of Man vs. Food)
Hit up 6th street for some chilling & relaxing
OR
if someone lives in Austin, if they could open up their house and maybe have a cookout in their backyard (just something to sit around and chat)
Wake up Sunday, eat breakfast/lunch and go on our merry ways.

We'd like to get people's opinions about this, AND we'd like to get people to COMMIT TO THIS! Flakers need not respond to this. It would be nice to have at least 10-12 corollas show up to this and i think we should set a minimum or throw this idea out the window.

Discuss.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Re: Testing Waters: State Wide 86garage meet in Austin

Post by daveskatesallday »

i'd definitely be down for this kinda idea

wish i coulda made it to houston but i spend a few hundred trying to fix my car to make it down then ran out of $ to pay for gas -__-

but the austin idea sounds good
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

madcao

Post by madcao »

lemme check with the wifey to see if our house is "presentable" for a bbq chillout. i live up in round rock, with some laid back neighbors. maybe i could get some help on my gts swap, hehehehe. thanks. -sang

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

Me and the wife have already discussed it and both of us are ready to make the trip, have some good food, good company and good times.

For those still attending school... let us know what your schedules look like. I don't want to hear any "I have to study for finals all weekend" BS. You know who you are........................................... ALEX!!!!!!!
85 Hatch SR5 => GTS High Comp Levin!!!
84 Coupe SR5 => GTS JDM MAP 16V (My Wife's car!)

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

HondaRue wrote:Me and the wife have already discussed it and both of us are ready to make the trip, have some good food, good company and good times.

For those still attending school... let us know what your schedules look like. I don't want to hear any "I have to study for finals all weekend" BS. You know who you are........................................... ALEX!!!!!!!
will you be bringing both cars to this?
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

Make sure it doesnt coincide with the drift event here in march and im down!!!!!
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

16vHachi

Post by 16vHachi »

sounds like a pretty good idea
im down depending on when it is!!
should have the corolla up and runnin
1984 Toyota Corolla- Drift Project
"Those aren't mudflaps!! They are mullets for tires!"
"Yall Doin That Skid Racin Again?"
Stay Sideways My Friends!

big slice
Tourist

Post by big slice »

This sounds great! The corolla is soon going to undergo a swap and hopefully it'll be done by then. Though it might not be because I'm unexperienced with the process. But anyway....I'll be down for this event. Late March sounds good.

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

i say for April wold be good ..

enough time so everyone can plan and get there car fixed specially sence March is warm ... enough time to save up in Feburary for people to buy parts for there car and save money for the meet ( gas food ext) ...

hopefully mine will finilly get done... god willing... i get close then something comes up ... damn car lol....
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

dfi1120

Post by dfi1120 »

man this is starting to look good, im going to go look at some road and post them up later this week.
D.F.I #20
r a n
i s c
f t
t
ARTURO ROMERO
TEAM INERTIA
DRIFT MORE TEXAS
http://www.myspace.com/art_d_f_i_20

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

mooreofit wrote:Make sure it doesnt coincide with the drift event here in march and im down!!!!!
Find out what weekend that is, and we'll cross it off the calender.

Also, the Anime Matsuri and drift event (Houston) is on the first weekend of April, so that weekend is out as well.

Soooo, as of now, that leaves March 20-21, or the rest of April. I will have to agree that the first couple of weekends in March wont give people enough time, so maybe sometime in April?

Also, i think we'll start a COMMITTED roll call sometime late February/early March.

START SAVING MONEYS PEOPLE!

Also, im willing to help out dfw people on the weekends if they need to get their cars up and running...just make sure to give me advance warning and make sure the weather is decent!

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

Haha, would that be a shout out to me Mark?
86 GTS 4AGTE

STLove

Post by STLove »

If I can get my alternator issue, alignment, and "inspection" done I will totally be down!!!
There is nothing 10 shots of Jager can't fix...

madcao

Post by madcao »

somethime in april should be fine for a bbq at my place, gimme enuff warning to get the yard ready. thanks. -sang

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

MadeInThe80s wrote:Haha, would that be a shout out to me Mark?
maybeeeee.... :roll:

Possible dates:
April 16-18
April 23-25

If anyone has any problems with these days (events, etc), post up your concerns and we'll see what we can do. As soon as we eliminate some (or none), then we'll have a poll to see which weekend wins out. i think we should have a primary weekend and secondary weekend just in case weather becomes a factor.

If anyone has any further concerns/opinions/suggestions, please discuss!
Last edited by mandm177 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.