NE ae86

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

McKenney
VIP Member

Re: NE ae86

Post by McKenney »

lol at the Gomer Pyle-esque pic! I spy a 240 with a VH45 in it too... Hows she holding up? She's looking good, other than the dent!

86boy

Post by 86boy »

yea they are alright. I wish they were 7-8" wide... 6.5 is rather narrow haha. Good ol' Western Wheels I believe they were the cyclone/hurricane wheel.

Mckenney you spy right! LOL She's holding up good. Looking to get adjustable cam gears, and then some upgrade pulley's here soon!

the dent on the other hand... I have another door I was going to replace anyways. The quarter panel I'm hopefully going to try to pull out this weekend. at least get it somewhat straight again.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

86boy

Post by 86boy »

well.... it begins... LOL I swear I'm going to go pro at these differentials. good news is it's already fixed, and the diff has NO noise what-so-ever.... I almost forgot what that felt like. *tear* <--- from happiness hahaha

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

alright so a little update on some progress.... going to order T3 adjustable cam gears tomorrow as well as a wideband O2 just so I don't go too far and cause some internal damage. Also got the dent most of the way out. Going to do a little bondo work and spray bomb the door this weekend for now. Anyways a couple pics of the "fixed" aftermath.

not the best shot...but you can still see it. I have some other pictures of it just not posted. Also I know my seat is F****d... planning on getting a new one very.. VERY SOON.

Here's with the other door I was starting to fix... had to use it as the stock door wouldn't even close after pushing out the dent most of the way.

Hopefully very soon I'll have a roll cage, seats, cam gears, O2, and start in on the supra trans swap.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Good work there man. You're getting to be pretty proficient with repairing these 86s almost all the way around. :tu:

86boy

Post by 86boy »

thank you sir. I'll post up some better DAY pictures this evening. it looks pretty damn good so far by just pushing it out. Possibly getting to play with one of those stud welders and use a slide hammer on the studs (not sure their actual name) and see if I can't get it smoothed out a little more.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Alright soooo... I'll probably start a thread with some pics/vids from our 2 day event we just had! 4 ae86s and 1 older wagon corolla (can't remember what body) were there... here's a photo of me sliding... didn't even realize I looked at the camera... hahaha damn photog is a ninja with that thing! Also think that was right after I spun out... hahaha
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Damn you need new seats...

86boy

Post by 86boy »

yep. I sure do. Looking for some legit race seats.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

ahhh snap! T3 adjustable cam gears...

So I Re-greased my cam seals.... and they are still leaking, and seem to be slowly getting worse. Both the intake and the exhaust are leaking. The seals were brand new 3000 miles ago. Cam seals have the spring on the inside and everything still. Any ideas on sealing these up?!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Cam gears are not lined up properly.

The red dots on the cam gears should both be lined up just under the vertical lines on the Timing Cover backing plate. When those line up, the indention on the timing belt gear behind the crank pulley should also line up with the little pimple indicator that's on the oil pump cover.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

ATDC the following marks should be lined up:
t3-camgears.png
t3-camgears.png (990.9 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
The red dots circled in blue should be under the vertical embossed marks on the timing cover backing plate indicated by green arrows
AND
the mark on the timing belt gear behind the crank pulley should line up with the oil pump pimple as stated earlier.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

another cheat for the crank timing gear mark is to put the woodruff key facing straight up. this puts the dimple lined up on the oil pump and cylinder 1 at tdc.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

I'll have to take a picture of the "instructions" sent. the intake cam gear lines up with the dot, and the exhaust lines up with the line. not really sure why it was like that, but it was. I also started the car after they were "set", and then went from there for adjustments, and it just so happened they stopped that close haha. bottom crank dot lined up with the groove, and the cam gears were lined up like they should have been. Also they were adjusted incorrectly after that picture, I readjust them. Currently I have both set to 3* advanced with that thicker headgasket I'm trying to find the base timing again then going from there. The CAS is set to it's factory location, and attempting to get the base timing that way. that 2mm headgasket threw the mechanical timing WAY off because I couldn't even get the ignition timing marks (on the crank pulley to timing cover) to line up with where it needed to be. It's getting there though slowly.... but surely. That just so happened to be where they landed after shutting the car off. I've been playing with them the past couple days, and holy crap this car is finally coming alive like I thought it should!

Also is there any diameter differences between the small port heads and the bigport heads camshafts? As in where the cam seals go. The engine gasket kit was for a 4agec bigport. This late ae92/ae101 is a smallport. The leak isn't bad, but it's still there and irritates me. I was on call the past couple of days for work, or I would have taken it apart and used a caliper to see the diameter of both camshafts. The originals were missing when I got the engine. There's no notiable grooves in the camshafts either. That was another thing that came to mind is the different cams used. I know the lobes/duration is different between the two.... but they both can be used in either engine....
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

No difference. The cam seals will work for both. It's possible one or both of the seals may have worked themselves out a bit.