It all started with..

Introduce yourself to the community

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BryceWSJ
Tourist

It all started with..

Post by BryceWSJ »

Hey everyone. My name's Bryce.

It all started with a 1983 Toyota Supra L-Type about 4 years ago. I saw it. I drove by it everyday on my way to work for a year. I wanted a project car, knew nothing about it, so I bought it. I wanted to know so much about engines and I've always been good at taking things apart and putting them back together. So I figured I'd take on this challenge and see how it went. I researched it non-stop and I decided to go with a 7M-GTE swap. I bought the motor. I had planned to rebuild it, so I tore it apart. Life came about me and long story short, I ended up selling the whole thing and never got a chance to do a dream swap.

After a few life events that left me with nothing, I slowly got back on my feet and I came across this 1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 Coupe. It was automatic. I hated it, but I figured I'd scoop it up and begin another project. I learned it had a 3AC and not the correct 4AC. So what? Anyways, it smoked. I was told the valve seals had been replaced. So I looked past them and figured it was the rings. I had never torn into a engine, let alone barely changed my own oil. So I figured why not. I did it. I tore the engine apart, got the pistons out, ordered standard rings, honed the block myself, put it all back together. I used all of the research and direction from multiple forums and it got me to the final event of starting this bad boy. I did it. The engine started, I jumped up and down with joy. I had torn apart something and put it back together, and it actually worked. Then 5 minutes later, it smoked. Go figure? Anyways, I had perfect compression in each cylinder, 180~ and I couldn't help but think of those valve seals that were "already done." So I figured, what the hell I've gone this far. I took my first valve seal off, it was torn. Obviously wasn't put on right. Took my second one, same thing. So, long story short, I put new valve seals. NOW, this is where I made my mistake, rookie move, whatever you want to call it. You know those little "pegs" that are on end of each rocker arm? That push the valve open? Yeah, well, for whatever reason, I loosened them, thinking I had to get the whole assembly out, and I didn't tighten them. Long story short, when i cranked the motor, it had a funny noise, and no more compression in cylinder 2. Awesome. Clearly the rings were gone, because now it just blew out smoke like no tomorrow. SO, I wanted to give up.

At this time I had just crashed my daily driver and was in desperate need for a reliable car. I didn't want to go out and put another down payment on another new car and waste my money all over again. So I took the money I would've spent on a new down payment and I figured I'd use it towards making this car a reliable, everyday fun driver. So I looked around for a 4AC replacement. Couldn't find one. Found one actually, but the guy wanted $500 for it. I thought that was a bit ridiculous. Came across these 4AGE swaps, looked crazy, wanted to do it, but again, what do I know about cars and swaps? SOOO, I did it. I got online, searched and searched, and I found a 4AGE, black top. With ECU & Harness. I figured, why not. I bought it. It's currently on it's way. I did more research. Found I needed more parts. Just do a swap they said...

So, this leads me to here. Looks like a great community, I wanted to be a part of it and say Hello. I've used this site for a bit of knowledge and I plan to use it quite a bit in the future.

Anyways, that's my long boring story. I'm in Los Angeles by the way. Not sure if any of you are in the area. But I could always use a little guidance in the wrong direction. Hope to meet you all soon!
AE86 Coupe BT20v in progress....

joel26
VIP Member

Re: It all started with..

Post by joel26 »

Welcome to the forum....

Hatemy7

Post by Hatemy7 »

Welcome!! Pics?

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

welcome you deffinately caught the toyo bug for sure
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

BryceWSJ
Tourist

Post by BryceWSJ »

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (119.6 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (110.33 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (103.76 KiB) Viewed 1352 times

BryceWSJ
Tourist

Post by BryceWSJ »

trying to find a T50 right now. i have a GTS bellhousing. Do you guys know if i can still use the same driveshaft?

BryceWSJ
Tourist

Post by BryceWSJ »

nevermind, found that one out.

UncleTonyBerman

Post by UncleTonyBerman »

welcome dude... nice rolla

BryceWSJ
Tourist

Post by BryceWSJ »

thanks! hopefully i'll be able to drive it soon...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Welcome to the Garage Bryce. Welcome to the school of hard "knocks". Sorry for the bad pun. Love the intro man. You've got a library at your fingertips and sounds like you're making good use of it. :tu: