A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks man!

Might get some work done this weekend, waiting to see what the outside temps are going to be.
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Car was supposed to head to the paint shop Saturday for paint, instead I ended up having many setbacks and a crushing blow to my spirit.

Thursday night I went to meet Fielding and the guy that would be painting my car, I took the bumper and wing since they still needed to be sanded and figured I'd do it while Fielding was sanding his. Upon arrival I discovered I had somehow broke the upper passenger side mounting point. After talking to the paint guy he was pretty sure he could fix it, so I began wet sanding out all the runs in the front bumper. Since I found out the shop was so close to my house I decided to just drive it over for paint on Saturday.

Friday I registered the car, paid for 6 months of insurance and picked up headlight bulbs, bolts for the bash bar, sand paper, primer (for the wing and bumper), blinker and brake bulbs. I spent several hours sanding the bumper and wing as well as prepping it for primer, the wing turned out pretty good but the bumper ended up reacting really weird to the primer so I decided "f*ck it" and I would just pay the paint guy more to fix it.

I then decided to work on the last few things it needed to pass inspection and be driven, front wheel fitment issue and lights and this is when things went South. I started adjusting the Caster in very small increments trying to find the sweet spot between the rear of the fender and where the bumper mounts to the front of the fender. This proved to be futile, now it is rubbing on both and completely un-driveable until I get some different wheels which I do not have the money for at this time. I decided I would just slap the stockers on until I got it painted then figure it out from there so I moved on to lights.

After arguing with the Autozone clerks for 20 mins they convinced me my car was 9006 bulbs even though I was pretty sure it was H4, low and behold I was f-bombing right so I had no bulbs to pass inspection in the front. I moved to the rear and put all the new bulbs in for the brakes, running lights and blinkers. Flipped the lights on and NOTHING F*CKING WORKS, the dash just makes a buzzing noise when the blinkers are activated and none of the other lights work at all. At this point I was done, I pulled the car in and went home and fumed for 3 days over the shit sandwich that was handed to me when I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyways, mostly I just wanted to vent but there is a bit of progress in there. It doesn't look like I'll be making R1 unless I magically stumble upon some 15x9 or 15x8 white wheels with a good offset for the front. Anyway's, thanks for listening to my bitching and moaning. Here's a pic since you guys listened.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

man i feel your pain. thing is i havent vented...yet.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I just got news I will be working/traveling 6 days a week for the next month and a half. There will be no updates during this time, however, the silver lining is I will be able to save up for the wheels I need for the front as well as a few other upgrades with the large bundle of cash I'll be handed. Let's hope everything falls into place and I can start driving and showing this thing off soon.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Ok guys, I need some serious front end suspension help. I was just about to pull the trigger on some new front wheels and realized that the issue I am having makes no sense(to me). I'm going to lay it all out and see if anyone can tell me wtf is going on. I'll try to explain it the best I can, if it's confusing please let me know and I'll try to make it easier to understand.

So from previous posts you already know I am rubbing in both locations 1 and 2 notated in this picture. I've adjusted the caster back and forth and currently at dead center it's rubbing on the bumper mount bolt (location 1) and the side skirt (location 2).

While searching around on the internet for a set of used wheels I came upon this thread (http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and noticed he is NOT rubbing, lower than mine AND his poke is almost exactly the same, as you can see below.

Here are the differences from the tire calculator.

Now keep in mind I am at max negative camber that the top hats will allow and the suspension has not been adjusted in other way(BC Coilovers). Also, keep in mind it is only rubbing when I turn the wheel and only on the tread part of the tire on.

What I'm thinking is if the tire was too wide it would rub on the inside part of the tire or wheel, correct? If I am wrong somebody please explain to me why that is incorrect.

The only thing I can figure that might be wrong is the LCA's that Mckinney recommended (20mm longer) could be causing an issue but I don't see how. If any suspension/wheel setup experts can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. This and the small wiring issue are the only things keeping me from driving this car, please help.

Just to note, I don't plan on running 15x10's on the front forever. I calculated wrong and I just want to use them as a place holder until I can save up for some Workmeister's or something else awesome.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

2 questions:
1. did you fold over the seam/pinchweld section in the rear of the wheelwell?

2. did you stretch the front fender at the front of the wheel arch?

I rubbed both of these with the same control arms with 195/50/15 on an 8" wide 0 offset rim... the control arms are on my car and bt20v's and we both hit slightly before clearncing these parts. also the control arms are only longer between the tension rod mounting holes and the ball joint. this is the same area where everyone extends their stock ones. and it's 10mm per side so it's very minimal.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

McKenney wrote:2 questions:
1. did you fold over the seam/pinchweld section in the rear of the wheelwell?

2. did you stretch the front fender at the front of the wheel arch?

I rubbed both of these with the same control arms with 195/50/15 on an 8" wide 0 offset rim... the control arms are on my car and bt20v's and we both hit slightly before clearncing these parts. also the control arms are only longer between the tension rod mounting holes and the ball joint. this is the same area where everyone extends their stock ones. and it's 10mm per side so it's very minimal.

1. Yes, seam/pinchweld has been folded. It does not rub anywhere on the inner fender well.

2. I did not stretch the fender at all and in the pictures of the guy rocking those 15x9's he doesn't look stretched either. we just cut them out except for the bumper mounting point and the skirts mounting points as you can see here http://i44.tinypic.com/2u8hv6g.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Also, if that part is "pulled" where the bumper mounting point is wouldn't it no longer mount up?
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

It'll still mount up. Just stretch it a little bit. You'll be fine with the right wheel and your combo. My front Levin fenders are stretched about 20mm and bumper still mount fine.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Also car you referenced in the pic is a Levin. The mounting point for bumper is lower down and further forward on Levin front end. The trueno bumper mount is almost level with top of the wheel arch. That's not a comparable reference when the front end are that different.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

McKenney wrote:Also car you referenced in the pic is a Levin. The mounting point for bumper is lower down and further forward on Levin front end. The trueno bumper mount is almost level with top of the wheel arch. That's not a comparable reference when the front end are that different.

I did not realize this. I still think something else is off but I'll try pulling it a bit.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Would anyone be interested in buying this car?
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

What? Don't do anything rash here. Text me. What's the problem?

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Some friends talked me out of selling the car, so I went out to the garage today and bent the shit out of the spot where the tires were rubbing and I got to drive it around the block. I'm unsure how I'll mount the bumper now and I need a wiring guru's help figuring out this dash harness issue. I won't lie, it felt good driving it.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

What is wrong with the dash harness?