New owner from KY checking in (87 GT-S)

Introduce yourself to the community

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

JuiceMan

New owner from KY checking in (87 GT-S)

Post by JuiceMan »

Howdy all.... Just picked up my first 86 today in the form of an 87 GT-S coupe equipped with the factory LSD. Blue on blue.

Stock for the most part with the exception of wheels & tires along with Megan lowering springs and an OBX catback.

Picked it up today and drove nearly 4 hours back home. Ran like a champ and handles like a dream.

I have a rubbing issue with the bolt attaching the fender to the bumper that I have to figure out how to resolve (killing my sidewalks quick!) but otherwise I love the car.

The bolt/tab that's rubbing:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402116892.842812.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402116892.842812.jpg (243.71 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
The car:

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Re: New owner from KY checking in (87 GT-S)

Post by daveskatesallday »

good pickup buddy welcome to the garage :tu:
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Welcome to 86G. Very clean GTS coupe :tu:.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

Welcome to the forum.......................

yukesrevolver
Tourist

Post by yukesrevolver »

I almost made an offer on that coupe, and now that I didn't kinda bummed about it. That rust spot on the passenger's door frame @ the roof of the car needs to be taken care of ASAP! Its one of the reasons I didn't move sooner on it. In the picture the guy posted it looked like a small hole had already crept in from rusting, which makes the repair a bit more than just a sand, fill, repaint. If there's no hole (the picture was kinda grainy) then its not as bad, but that is an area where a lot of water passes through during rain. Even if you keep it outta the rain, our area is bad about humidity (as I'm sure you're aware) and that rust will only get worse. The entire roof panel will have to be paint matched to the rest of the car afterwards, which isn't too terribly expensive, but it definitely adds cost to the car because of how immediate that area needs the attention.

Other than that though, that coupe is CLLLEAAAANNN! Super clean! I didn't even know the GT-S interior was optional in 1987 until I saw that car and researched it further (looking at the original brochures). I thought it odd that a car that clean would have an SR-5 interior if it were a true GT-S, but just goes to show you that the 86 always has something new to teach you. Always wanted an 86 in that color too. Oh well, heh. Whereabouts Kentucky are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

Oh, as far as that tab goes...you have a few options.
1) add negative camber to the front. can't remember if that car had camber plates already installed...think it did. This will add wear to your tires though. Not entirely sure that will fix the issue though.
2) bend the absolute piss out of it until it stops rubbing. If the fender liner is still installed this might be a bit more tricky. I highly advise keeping that liner in there on any car seeing daily / fun driving use. Without the liner, water/debris gets into your door hinges and speeds up the deterioration leading to sagging door. Ask me how I know.
3) get a higher offset wheel. Those are the 15x7 +0 shakotans. You could find something in the same size, but +8 or higher and it'll probably be fine.

What size tires are on the wheels?

mr.kikoman
Tourist

Post by mr.kikoman »

nice and simple!!welcome to the garage .

Warren

Post by Warren »

can i have?

JuiceMan

Post by JuiceMan »

yukesrevolver wrote:I almost made an offer on that coupe, and now that I didn't kinda bummed about it. That rust spot on the passenger's door frame @ the roof of the car needs to be taken care of ASAP! Its one of the reasons I didn't move sooner on it. In the picture the guy posted it looked like a small hole had already crept in from rusting, which makes the repair a bit more than just a sand, fill, repaint. If there's no hole (the picture was kinda grainy) then its not as bad, but that is an area where a lot of water passes through during rain. Even if you keep it outta the rain, our area is bad about humidity (as I'm sure you're aware) and that rust will only get worse. The entire roof panel will have to be paint matched to the rest of the car afterwards, which isn't too terribly expensive, but it definitely adds cost to the car because of how immediate that area needs the attention.

Other than that though, that coupe is CLLLEAAAANNN! Super clean! I didn't even know the GT-S interior was optional in 1987 until I saw that car and researched it further (looking at the original brochures). I thought it odd that a car that clean would have an SR-5 interior if it were a true GT-S, but just goes to show you that the 86 always has something new to teach you. Always wanted an 86 in that color too. Oh well, heh. Whereabouts Kentucky are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

Oh, as far as that tab goes...you have a few options.
1) add negative camber to the front. can't remember if that car had camber plates already installed...think it did. This will add wear to your tires though. Not entirely sure that will fix the issue though.
2) bend the absolute piss out of it until it stops rubbing. If the fender liner is still installed this might be a bit more tricky. I highly advise keeping that liner in there on any car seeing daily / fun driving use. Without the liner, water/debris gets into your door hinges and speeds up the deterioration leading to sagging door. Ask me how I know.
3) get a higher offset wheel. Those are the 15x7 +0 shakotans. You could find something in the same size, but +8 or higher and it'll probably be fine.

What size tires are on the wheels?
Thanks for the compliments. The car is fairly clean in person. Interior is very complete and looks great for its age (only missing the driver side sun visor, that's it) the rust
On the roof is second on my list as soon as I get the suspension lined out. That's been the only rust I can find on the car so far. Car was one owner from 87-07 and has a stack of service records a mile high as well as the original window sticker and build sheet.

Wheels are indeed 15x7s with +0 it's on Tokico Blues with Megan orange springs. Driver's side front tire just won't stop rubbing. I bent all the tabs up and zip tied and even trimmed some plastic off the inner liner.

It only rubs when making a right turn as the weight transfers. Usually only if going over 10mph. I'm taking it Friday to have the alignment checked. If alignment doesn't solve the issue then I'm going to raise it back up temporarily by swapping the Megans for some Tanabe GFs. I think that should bring me back up about half an inch plus the Tanabe specs show them to be a slightly stiffer spring than the Megans.

I'm a bit on the heavy side (250lbs) and the car still has A/C and PS not to mention the battery sitting right over top the culprit rubbing tire. So maybe the Megans are just a bit too soft for all that weight while still having the liners in?