A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

joel26
VIP Member

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by joel26 »

cars looks good....and i am interested in what is making your car bog too.. let me know if anything how it goes with the timing on it.. thanks in advance....

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks man!

We resolved the issue this evening, 86boy came over and we got the ignition timing right and came to realize it was only running on 3 cylinders, we swapped out an injector and it was still only running on 3. I decided to press down on the plug and it came to life! It definitely needs a tune but it is running good enough to driver wherever I see fit. Mad props to 86boy for helping me out again!

It will probably be a bit til I get some more updates on here since I need to pay off some debt trying to get this thing finished but don't worry I will start posting more in about a month or so, hope to see you guys at some meets!
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

well that's good to know that it was an injector... and that u got it running better now....

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

So I lied, I have some more updates...

The day after I got it all legal I decided I wanted to take it down to the store, I made it about a block and the front tire caught the bumper and ripped the hole thing off effectively breaking it :(
So starting today I got a running shot at trying to repair it myself, I have no idea how well this is going to turn out but I'll keep everyone posted on the process as I work on it. Today I got the
repair kit on the bumper and starting trying to sand it down, from what I can tell I'm going to have to use some Bondo to even things out since one side of the crack is higher than the other.

I also picked up some black chrome acorn nuts for the valve covers today since I was missing one. I didn't get any pictures but I'll try to remember next time I'm at the garage. I finally pulled out the headlight covers and tried to clean them up. They were in pretty rough shape so I sanded them down and primered them, except I bought the wrong color primer and will have to re-spray them later on. They turned out pretty good though.

Before and after

Both finished.

I caved and picked up some NST pulleys which came in the other day but I do not have air tools to install them, I tried to do it by hand but the Alternator pulley just spins when I try to hold it still. I also got it aligned and I've been toying with the intake cam gear to try and get the power just right, I've gotten it a bit better but not perfect. Also today my LED lights should be in for the instrument cluster, kind of excited to see those in action.

Well that's all I got for now.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

86boy

Post by 86boy »

nice!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks Bro!

I'm having a strange ticking noise coming from the car all of a sudden but it only does it around 4k rpm and if I'm maintaining speed. If I accelerate or let of the gas it stops. I couldn't really tell where it was coming from while driving but I thought it sounded like it was coming from the rear diff. I changed out the fluid on Monday and the noise still persisted and from the picture you can tell it might be time to rebuild the rear end, lol.

The rear end doesn't make as much noise now and I was able to track down the noise. It's coming from the upper part of the head and I'm thinking it might be valve lash, at least I hope. I spent several hours checking all the clearances when I installed the cams to make sure they were in spec so I'm kind of skeptical that's the issue. Unless this is normal after and engine has been broke in. Also, as I drive my car at 80mph the oil pressure starts to fall off to where it's almost at the low end of the gauge, I'm really hoping this is a faulty reading but it scares me none the less. If anyone has any ideas or input feel free to give me some direction.

Come Friday I will check all the clearances on the cams again and make sure they are within spec, I really hope the brand new oil pump didn't go kablooey.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Checked all the valve clearances today, found 2 out of spec. Replaced them but I'm still getting the "chatter" around 2500-4000 rpm. Car pulls really good. I'm at a complete loss for what it is, the only other thing I can think of is maybe the distributor gear is lose or something.

I did find a thread on the old club4ag that had a guy having the similar issues as me and it turned out his cam bearing caps were loose. I double checked all mine and torqued them down to 14 ft-lbs. Any help is greatly appreciated.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I Borrowed a Stethoscope from work today to see if I could track down the head rattle. I checked all over the block I could hear it but nothing jumping out and saying RIGHT HERE, I then put it on the distributor base and it was loud as hell. I'm pretty convinced that the distributor is loose or something and it's causing the noise when I let off the throttle(backlash). I took a few videos to see if anyone had any other input. If anyone has a spare distributor we can swap over to test in the DFW area that would be greatly appreciated.

I also got in my 25mm spacers for the rear from HondaRue, I know it's a crappy pic but it will have to make due for now.

I also ordered Megasquirt PNP and a Innovative LC-2 wideband which should be here next week, I'm pretty excited to mess with those. Until next time!
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

the fitment looks good..............

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks man. I'm still looking for a stock distributor to test with, would only need it for like 15 minutes or so.

Surfing Club4ag I found a killer deal on a Megasquirt and snagged it with a Innovative LM-2 wideband. I got it in on Thursday last week now I'm scowering the web trying to figure out how to hook all this stuff up. I'm a complete noob to stand alone engine management systems.

I have a few questions if someone can answer them for me.

1. Does the wideband screw in where the narrow band currently is or will I need to use the bung that came with the sensor and get it welded in? Does the T3 test pipe have the appropriate bungs for the wideband?

2. Does the wideband connect directly into the megasquirt? It looks like the connectors match but I only glanced at the stuff when it came in.

3. The cables for the Wideband seem very short, will I need to drill a hole in the floorboard to be able to run this stuff into the cabin?

4. The mounting holes for the MS don't seem to match the factory ECU or the bracket for it. How did you guys mount yours up?

5. I found an article on DIYAUTOTUNE that showed I had do some crazy setup and splicing to get the TVIS to work, is this correct or outdated? I thought the point of plug n play was to just plug in and go.

I did not get a gauge for the Wideband and was hoping I could just see the readings inside the tuning program once I get it going because I planned on doing something like this. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ ... 878/page1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any help as per usual is greatly appreciated.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Went out to the garage today with a timing light and got the timing dead set, had to stab the distributor like 15 times but I finally got it all straightened out. Drawback to this is now the sound which I believe is the distributor gear on the cams is much much louder. It pulls like a f*cking beast though.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Was having issues with timing mark jumping around so I installed my NST water pump and crank pulley(alternator will have to come later when I know someone that will let me use their air tools)... Afterwards the timing mark wasn't jumping as bad but it was still jumping. I ended up buying a new distributor and installing it yesterday, the timing mark no longer jumps. Yay!

I also did the first oil change on the new engine and moved up to a thicker oil hoping this would stop the "chatter" the engine was having. It did not.

Ended up tearing the head completely down(didn't remove the head) and inspecting everything including the timing belt tensioner. The cam caps had a little wear on them but I'm unsure what a lot of damage would look like. The cams had a little bit of what I would consider damage on them, but they were like that when they arrived.

Had an ASE certified mechanic look at the caps and he told me they would be considered "Junk" in reality but did not think they were causing the noise, also said it did not sound like like rod knock or wrist pin knock.

I noticed that one of the cam gears looked like they had not been making full contact to the cam and thought the bolts for the cams were too long, I got a shorter set and installed them, did not fix the noise.

Ended up pulling all plugs (one at a time) while it was running to see if this would affect the noise, it did not.

I re-torqued all cap bolts, tensioner bolt and various other bolts to make sure they were on good and tight and to spec, still no change.

After everything was assembled and the new distributor was timed correctly I took it for a spin and it pulls like crazy. The sound still only occurs during partial throttle and when just letting off the throttle. I'm almost convinced it's something external the engine but of course I could be wrong.

Picking up a new exhaust gasket today and a new tensioner to test with, if neither of these work I'm begging, hell pleading for someone to help me come track down the issue.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Been awhile since I updated and I have many updates, I will just put them in chronological order.

Turns out the rattle was being caused by the TVIS, I disconnected it and it is much much quieter but still persists when throttle is applied. I ordered a TVIS delete and plan on installing it as soon as the car returns from the shop.

I installed the Megasquirt to make sure it worked and drove it down the street, it felt very good. I took it off and stored it while I waiting on IAT sensor, Intake tube (for MAP delete), DB15 connector and a tuning cable.

Now for some bad news, about 2 months ago I was in the outside double turn lane when a guy in the inside lane tried to go straight and took me out, of course he has some of the worst insurance I've ever had the honor of dealing with and it took 2 months to get some money from them. The good news is I was able to use the money to get a new paint job. BEHOLD!!!!

She's getting wetsanded and a buff then I can pick her up tomorrow, I will post more shots then. Since the tail lights look like complete shit and the rest of the outside is about to be flawless I went ahead and ordered a set of Sprinters, hope to have them in a few more weeks.

As soon as the car gets back I plan on installing the MS, gotta take it and get the wideband welded in then it'll be time to get a tune. Hope you guys enjoyed this update as much as I did.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Picked up the 86 from the Body shop on Friday night, took it to get some food and one of the top oil plugs near the spark plugs fell out going down the highway. Didn't notice something was wrong until I pushed in the clutch exiting the highway and it died, motor blown.

The next morning I was hoping that everything would be okay since we had only lost 2 quarts of oil by replacing the plug, alas this did not help it. Zero oil pressure and zero water temp which boggles my mind.

Since it was daylight I wanted to get a better look at the paintjob and my god what a complete waste of money. He didn't fix some cracks in the body from where I was hit, you can see the primer underneath the paint all over the car, there is a spot where the fender meets the hood that has no paint on it at all and he painted my eyelids, tail lights and my exhaust. Needless to say this entire weekend was a huge kick in the nuts.

I've now made a decision to go high compression 7AGE. I've found a block for 150 I'll pick up this week and I just ordered a set of H Beam con rods, 7age timing belt kit and bearings. I think I'm going to go with Red Top High Comp pistons and I found a rebuilt ported and polished head on Craigslist. I'm really hoping to have the engine assembled in the next few weeks. I'll post updates as they come in.

Here are the links to the parts I ordered.

Conrods http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/280/7a- ... nrods.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timing Belt Kit http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/394/7ag ... t-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

Take that sht back and make em repaint it till they get it right. I can't stand people that rip people off. This is the reason I'm a DIY'er because i just don't trust anyone working on my cars for anything.