dr.occa co-roara

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

hvguy wrote:What engine stand is that?
...what the...!?
Overdrift wrote:wheres your old upgrade cams? 8)
sold to a club4ag member up in Canada.
nt66 wrote:glad to see it going back together
me too. it may be up and running for the NST meet this month. we'll see soon enough.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

dr.occa wrote:
...what the...!?
me too. it may be up and running for the NST meet this month. we'll see soon enough.
so your car will be there and mine wont :(
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

but mine will!
JDM AE86/AE92

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

another step closer.

the cam gears and timing belt will be the last things most likely. one of the adj. cam gears are being used to finish up a certain testing project. hope i get it back before the 22nd.

Ricky86

Post by Ricky86 »

What coil packs are those & are you still using Megajolt?
nt66 wrote:
dr.occa wrote:
...what the...!?
so your car will be there and mine wont :(
Isnt your car there right now :wink: ?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

looks like my 86 won't be there either due to some recording scheduling. i'll be there in the ugly wagon though.

Ricky86

Post by Ricky86 »

dr.occa wrote:looks like my 86 won't be there either due to some recording scheduling. i'll be there in the ugly wagon though.
Hey jerk, you didnt answer my question???

:D

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Ricky86 wrote:
dr.occa wrote:looks like my 86 won't be there either due to some recording scheduling. i'll be there in the ugly wagon though.
Hey jerk, you didnt answer my question???

:D
did you get my pm back?

Ricky86

Post by Ricky86 »

Your PM didnt answer the question about the coil packs & if your still running Megajolt :x :D :lol: !!!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

ricky..... when are you gonna post your car up? and when are you gonna get your car running jonas?
JDM AE86/AE92

Ricky86

Post by Ricky86 »

CBR_TOY wrote:ricky..... when are you gonna post your car up? and when are you gonna get your car running jonas?
I post something pretty soon, but I can say Jonas car will run before mine HAHA!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Ricky86 wrote:Your PM didnt answer the question about the coil packs & if your still running Megajolt :x :D :lol: !!!
i must not have gotten that pm.

but to answer your question: yes, it'll still be running megajolt for tuning and as for the coil pack question...ask it again.

i've been busy with "other things" so i wasn't able to finish up the engine and dropping it back in.

in the past, i've been able to tune the carbs and engine w/ just a narrowband and gauge but that was a lot of work and calculating, gauging and graphing. i plan on picking up a wideband to make it easier to tune but we'll see.

Ricky86

Post by Ricky86 »

HAHA, well I was asking what coil packs are those & how are you getting them to work with Megajolt? I have noticed a few domestic guys using megasquirt on V8's & using GM coils but they didnt explain how they did it.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Ricky86 wrote:HAHA, well I was asking what coil packs are those & how are you getting them to work with Megajolt? I have noticed a few domestic guys using megasquirt on V8's & using GM coils but they didnt explain how they did it.
the coil packs are from a lexus es300/98 camry.

i've discussed it with a few guys from autosportlabs on what would be the optimum way of wiring up the coil packs. someone had suggested wiring in 2 edis boxes rather than relying on 1 to supply the charge and interval to all 4.

since w/ a 4 cyl waste spark setup it's essentially just 2 coils (e.g. 1&4 on one coil then 2&3 on another) with each of the coils firing 2 cyls simultaneously: one on up stroke the other on down or the "waste" stroke. with 4 cops it'll be 2 coils needing to be given the proper charge at the same time while still being able to build up the re-charge between triggers. since the edis 4 was intended to only spark 1 coil at a time in a back and forth fashion, it's possible that by adding an additional coil to each of the firing signals that load on the triggering unit will be increased to the point of over heating the box and/or decreasing the charge build. so what could happen is the edis box life span would be greatly depleted AND spark on each cyl would suffer.

with 2 edis units i split the 4 packs between them so that way they both still only trigger 2 coils. then i "spliced" the 2nd edis wiring into the 1st to receive the same triggering information. this still creates the waste spark firing order but with the 1st edis unit firing 1 & 2 and the 2nd edis unit firing 4&3.

like this:
Last edited by dr.occa on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricky86

Post by Ricky86 »

Sweeet tuna!!!

Glad I havnt bought new wires & EDIS MSD coil :D .